Saturday, June 27, 2009

Silence isn't always golden

As this week concludes, I have found that the solace of being alone is not all it's cracked up to be. I mean don't get me wrong. I think that everyone from time to time should have a time and place for some quiet meditation and reflection, but an extended period alone is not my cup of tea. I have become accustomed to the general buzzing of activity of our home, our two girls running around and doing all sorts of stuff, my wife doing her day to day activities, and my son doing whatever it is that he does; people coming and going. When that activity is absent, it just makes me feel odd. The only upside is that I can simply concentrate on sleeping and going to work. That does not mean that I have caught up on any sleep. Maybe because I'm creeped out being alone, with the exception of the cat, who happens to be driving me biddy because apparently she misses the buzz of activity as well.
I enjoy the occasional day off to lay around and do nothing, but two weeks is a long time to do nothing. I have tried to fill up some of the time with trips to the library, some light shopping, a trip to the driving range and the like. I have also been doing some housework, cooking, laundry, etc., which I really don't mind. I even mopped the kitchen floor with my new mop and bucket that I got for Father's day (it was something that I specifically asked for). But the hard fact is that I miss my wife and kids. I mean I got married and had kids because I wanted a family to spend time with and when they aren't here, well, it seems lacking.
Tomorrow I will head off to church and fulfill my duties as greeter, attend Sunday school and the Service of course, after which I will probably return home, eat some lunch while watching a couple of episodes of the X-Files. All the while lamenting the fact that the house is dark, and quiet, and empty.
Genesis 2:18 says: Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." Today, I can say that I sympathize with Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment